How to Choose a Rug That Is Right for You
Let’s play a little matching game – of the rug variety, of course! Green shag – 70s anyone? Bearskin rug in front of a roaring fire – mountainside retreat! And, finally, a classic tight sisal – idyllic Maine coastal cottage for the win!
While these examples are admittedly overstated, this exercise showcases the dramatic impact rug choice has on a room. Selecting a rug can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Keep reading to learn some expert tips from our Minneapolis interior design team on how to choose a rug that is right for you.
How to Determine The Right Rug Size
Let’s start with a little rug 101 regarding size. Where the rug is placed is a big factor when it comes to choosing the right size. Here are a few helpful hints to get the ball rolling.
- To frame a seating area, select a rug size that allows the front legs of a sofa and chairs to sit on the rug.
- Leave some space between a rug and the walls. At least six inches is a good rule of thumb.
- In a large room, select a rug that sits underneath the entirety of your seating arrangement.
- A dining room setting calls for a rug size large enough for your chairs to remain on the rug when they are pulled away from the table.
- If you are in between sizes, opt for the larger size as it gives you greater options on how to style the room.
Pro tip! Before finalizing any rug choice, tape off the area to give yourself a visual preview. You might be surprised at what you see!
>>>Our Good Vibes Basement Remodel project in Savage, MN demonstrates how a rug can be used to frame a seating area
Let’s Talk Rug Style
While their function is unquestioned, rugs also play an important role in setting the style of a room. Talk to your inner design self to unearth what you are looking for in terms of design including:
- Are you looking to play it safe, or will the rug be an accent piece?
- Does this piece need to work with existing elements and colors, or will this be a piece around which all other design elements are curated?
- Consider if a pattern or plain, bold, or neutral speaks to you. Know that there is no wrong answer. Let your overall vision for a room help guide your choice. A neutral rug in terms of color or pattern is a useful tool for grounding a design, while a bold pattern or color will make a statement, standing out rather than blending in.
Rug Cleaning Considerations
Life happens! Spills, pets, kids, and exuberant guests on game day all give our rugs a run for their money. Choosing a rug that can handle what’s thrown at it or on it goes a long way toward maintaining a happy home.
- Consider the space. High-traffic areas, such as an entryway, require rugs that can easily be cleaned and maintained. Meanwhile, a rug for a living room in a home without kids can probably go much longer without deep cleaning.
- Consider the rug material. It’s also important to know that not all rugs are created equal in the care department. You might be surprised to find out how many homeowners fall in love with a rug only to find out later that it is made of a material that wears poorly or is difficult and expensive to clean.
- Consider cleaning requirements. While we are interior designers, we always recommend looking beyond appearance at your rug choices to consider it’s cleaning requirements. Is it machine washable, or must it be laundered, dry-cleaned or spot-treated only? Note that the size of your rug may determine the lengths you’ll need to go to get it cleaned.
Rug Wrap Up
Now that you are armed with enough rug-worthy information to be dangerous, play with your rug choices knowing that you have a solid foundation of knowledge under you (pun fully intended!). Our Minneapolis interior designers and remodelers at Che Bella Interiors have put these concepts to the test in homes across the Twin Cities. Contact our team if a simple rug purchase morphs into a full-blown remodel, or a project that lands somewhere in between. We are here to help make your home beautifully yours!