Thanksgiving night – Designing a Perfect Bar
Whether you set up your bar early so your relatives entertain themselves as you make your meal, or you set it up for a relaxing cocktail after your Thanksgiving dinner- it’s a good idea to think about making a perfect bar for your guests. Wine, mixed drinks and beer come in so many varieties – what do you offer?
A great idea is to ask your guests to bring a bottle of wine or mixer. This way, your guests have brought their favorites and while you can provide some of the main liquors and beer, you’ll be able to focus on the fun of prepping the bar area.
Here are your must have bar accessories:
- Cocktail shaker
- Bottle opener
- Stainless steel tongs & Ice Bucket
- Martini, Wine & Lowball glasses
Along with a few bottles of the best booze under $20.00 (A great bar shouldn’t cost you a fortune!):
- Vodka: Smirnoff $12 — A classic, clean-tasting workhorse brand for vodka tonics, vodka Martinis, vodka gimlets, White Russians, screwdrivers, and Bloody Marys.
- Gin: Gordon’s $9 This British brand is Jame Bond’s favorite gin, and if it’s good enough for Agent 007, it’s definitely good enough for us.
- Tequila: Sauza Blanco $14 Quality budget tequilas are rare—choose poorly and you’ll pay for it the next day. Sauza is a good deal and makes a fine Margarita to boot.
- Bourbon: Jim Beam $14 There’s no shortage of excellent and inexpensive bourbons, but you can’t go wrong with this ubiquitous brand when you’re thirsty for a mint julep.
A yummy (and potent) recipe passed down from my Scandinavian grandparents:
Apple Pie Liquor – Serve hot or cold!
1 Bottle Everclear
1 Gallon Apple Juice
1 Gallon Apple Cider
6 Cinnamon Sticks
1 Cup White Sugar (or more/less depending on your taste)
**Heat Cider, Juice, Sugar and Cinnamon Sticks in kettle over the stove until they are boiling. Cool outside (covered). When completely cool, mix in the bottle of Everclear. Put into containers (removing the cinnamon sticks) – Enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving from Che Bella to you.
[Image & Bar Suggestions from BonAppetit.com]